Dundee Utd 3
Morton 0
League (Premiership Playoff QF 2nd Leg)

Dundee Utd
3 - 0

League (Premiership Playoff QF 2nd Leg)
Friday, May 12th, 2017
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,606
7:45 PM Kick-off

Simon Murray (52)
Wato Kuaté (64)
Blair Spittal (81)

Team Managers
Ray McKinnon
Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. Cammy Bell
8. Stewart Murdoch
4. Mark Durnan
14. William Edjenguélé
24. Jamie Robson
16. Willo Flood
7. Blair Spittal
17. Wato Kuaté
19. Tony Andreu
9. Simon Murray
18. Thomas Mikkelsen
James McGowan
Michael Doyle
Ricki Lamie
Thomas O'Ware
Mark Russell
Aidan Nesbitt
Andy Murdoch
Jamie Lindsay
Ross Forbes
Gary Oliver
Kudus Oyenuga

21. Luis Zwick
3. Paul Dixon
5. Coll Donaldson
10. Scott Fraser
12. Charlie Telfer
35. Scott Allardice
22. Ali Coote
Derek Gaston
Michael Tidser
Jon Scullion
Lawrence Shankland
Jamie McDonagh
Scott Tiffoney
Lewis Strapp

Charlie Telfer for Willo Flood (66)
Scott Fraser for Thomas Mikkelsen (84)
Ali Coote for Simon Murray (84)
Michael Tidser for Ross Forbes (63)
Lawrence Shankland for Jamie Lindsay (69)
Jamie McDonagh for Aidan Nesbitt (72)

William Edjenguélé (35)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Andrew Dallas (Referee)
Jordan Stokoe & John McCrossan (Assistants)
Greg Aitken (Fourth Official)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

For the visit of Greenock Morton to Tannadice for the second leg of the Premiership Play-off Quarter Final tie, Ray McKinnon stuck with the same starting eleven that began the game at Cappielow on Tuesday, with the only change coming on the bench, Nicholls making way for the returning Scott Fraser. Counterpart Jim Duffy, however, made four changes to starting line-up which included Jamie McGowan replacing Gaston in the Morton goal.

The beginning of the game followed a similar pattern to Tuesday’s match with Morton holding the advantage in possession, but failed to make anything of the few chances that came their way. United were guilty of conceding both the ball and free kicks in dangerous areas, but on unlike Tuesday, Morton failed to test Cammy Bell in the home goal. Their clearest opportunity in the first half came after only five minutes, Kudus Oyenuga’s effort though was wide of the goal. United had chances too, despite a lack of accuracy with the final ball, Mikkelsen did well to chest the ball down, and get a shot off, but McGowan saved with ease. On twenty minutes Murray’s aggression and tenacity were almost rewarded as he did well to win the ball in the Morton box and fire a cross come shot, which Mikkelsen only just failed to make contact with at the back post, the ball running out of play. Ten minutes before the break Edjenguele was cautioned by referee Dallas for pulling back Forbes as Morton threatened. McGowan then produced a wonderful save from an Andreu header, again Mikkelsen stretched to get on the end of the deflection, but missed out by inches in front of an open goal. United had penalty appeals waved away as the half drew to a close, Mikkelsen appearing to be nudged off the ball as a cross was swung in, but the referee ignored his pleas.

Again Morton came out of the traps quickly and immediately forced a corner in front of the Eddie Thompson stand, but similar to the previous forty-five minutes, the delivery was poor and the chance cleared. Six minutes into the half United took the lead. Morton skipper O’Ware, who has been a stand out all season, will not want to watch a replay as his failure to clear a Murdoch cross saw the ball land at Simon Murray's feet 6 yards out and the United striker finished high into the net and wheeled away in delight. Three minutes later Morton should have been level as Oyenuga evaded Durnan six yards from goal but could only fire his header over the bar, much to the relief of the Tannadice faithful. The Tangerines were now taking control of the match, confidence from a two goal aggregate lead and a jaded looking Morton team allowed the United midfield to play some impressive football. United’s second goal was a thing of beauty as Wato Kuaté gathered the ball twenty five yards out, cut back onto his left foot and lashed an unstoppable effort past McGowan. He then ran the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the United fans. McKinnon made an immediate change, swapping Willo Flood for Charlie Telfer, with the tie all but over, thoughts turning to the next game against Falkirk. Mikkelsen and Spittal both had further efforts which failed to test the Morton keeper and Kuate, buoyed by his goal, was showing his skill with some impressive flicks and passes. With ten minutes remaining any lingering hopes of a Morton come back were dashed: as Mikkelsen looked to be felled in the box for a clear penalty, Simon Murray did not wait for the whistle but he squared the ball to Blair Spittal who drove home from twelve yards to kill off the tie. Late substitutions saw Murray and Mikkelsen withdrawn and replaced by Ali Coote and, to a huge cheer, Scott Fraser returning from injury. The game was very similar to Tuesday’s match against the same opposition, Morton controlled much of the first half but were blown away in the second by a fantastic attacking display by the men in tangerine.

Match report written by Gordon Aitchison

Squad Statistics (as at May 12th, 2017)

2016-17 All Time
Cammy Bell (GK)30 45 - 45 -
Mark Durnan24 415748
Jamie Robson19 281291
William Edjenguélé30 372372
Stewart Murdoch27 291291
Willo Flood32 4221947
Wato Kuaté21 6161
Tony Andreu28 38193819
Blair Spittal21 36410413
Simon Murray25 46167123
Thomas Mikkelsen27 228228
Ali Coote (sub)18 16 - 20 -
Charlie Telfer (sub)21 342676
Scott Fraser (sub)22 356728

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at May 12th, 2017)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 36 19 14 3 +34 71
2. Falkirk 36 16 12 8 +18 60
3. DUNDEE UTD 36 15 12 9 +8 57
4. Morton 36 13 13 10 +3 52
5. Dunfermline 36 12 12 12 +3 48
6. QOS 36 11 10 15 -6 43
7. St Mirren 36 9 12 15 -4 39
8. Dumbarton 36 9 12 15 -10 39
9. Raith Rovers 36 10 9 17 -17 39
10. Ayr Utd 36 7 12 17 -29 33

League results since United's last match