Dundee Utd 2
Rangers 1
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
2 - 1

League (SPL)
Sunday, October 28th, 2007
Tannadice Park. Att. 12,129
2:00 PM Kick-off

Lee Wilkie (27)
Barry Robson (pen.) (53)
Daniel Cousin (pen) (51)

Team Managers
Craig Levein
Walter Smith

Starting Eleven
13. Euan McLean
3. Christian Kalvenes
5. Darren Dods
2. Seán Dillon
4. Lee Wilkie
20. Prince Buaben
6. Willo Flood
16. Morgaro Gomis
11. Barry Robson
22. Jordan Robertson
10. Noel Hunt
Allan McGregor
David Weir
Carlos Cuellar
Sasa Papac
Alan Hutton
Lee McCulloch
Amady Faye
Barry Ferguson
Kevin Thomson
Daniel Cousin
DaMarcus Beasley

1. Lukasz Załuska
18. Garry Kenneth
24. Stuart Duff
7. Mark Kerr
14. Steven Robb
9. Jon Daly
26. David Goodwillie
Roy Carroll
Steven Whittaker
Dean Furman
Steven Lennon
Kris Boyd
Steven Naismith
Nacho Novo

Mark Kerr for Prince Buaben (90)
Nacho Novo for Amady Faye (46)
Kris Boyd for Daniel Cousin (79)

Noel Hunt (5)
Morgaro Gomis (69)
Prince Buaben (70)
Alan Hutton (5)
Kevin Thomson (33)
Allan McGregor (85)
Nacho Novo (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)

Match Report

United manager Craig Levein kept faith with the same side that beaten Hearts 3-1 at Tynecastle the previous week. The only forced change was that of keeper Szamotulski being replaced by youngster Euan McLean. The ever reliable back four of Dillon, Kalvenes, Wilkie and Dods started behind a five-man midfield, which included Gomis, Flood and Buaben, with Hunt and Robson providing the support for lone striker Jordan Robertson, who scored a double in the 3-1 victory over the Jambos. Rangers boss Walter Smith however, made a few changes to his side following their midweek Champions League draw with Barcelona, with Damarcus Beasley and Amdy Faye coming in, and former Dundee man Nacho Novo settling for a place on the bench.

After a quiet start, the match came alive in the fifth minute with the game’s first flashpoint. Noel Hunt’s quick feet deceived Rangers fullback Alan Hutton, who lunged in with a late challenge. The foul earned him a yellow card and Hunt’s reaction also saw him booked. The first attempt on goal soon followed, when a cross from Dillon on the right found Hunt at the far post, but he headed over the bar. United had another opportunity midway through the first half. Gomis won the ball in midfield and found Robson on the right. The United captain cut inside and unleashed a 20-yarder, but McGregor saved well. Rangers’ first real attack came after 25 minutes. A free-kick from Ferguson found Daniel Cousin on his own six yards out. The striker volleyed past McLean but thankfully for United, the linesman flagged for offside. A couple of minutes later, United took the lead. A free kick on the left was swung in by Willo Flood and found Lee Wilkie at the far post to volley home from close range. The goal triggered a fight back from Rangers, but they couldn’t find a way past United’s rearguard. Just before half time however, Cousin broke clear and looked as if he would score until Wilkie’s brilliant tackle broke to Ferguson. The Rangers captain laid the ball off to McCulloch, but a superb last ditch block from Dods saved United and kept them in front going into the break.

The home side started the second half brightly with Jordan Robertson robbing Alan Hutton on the halfway line to carry the ball goalwards, but last week’s two-goal hero blazed his effort way over. Rangers then broke forward on the right with McCulloch beating the offside trap to cross for Cousin. However, McLean came to United’s rescue with a brilliant point blank save before getting back to his feet to turn another Cousin attempt round the post. Then, in the 52nd minute Rangers were handed a lifeline when Damarcus Beasley was awarded a dodgy looking penalty when he was tripped by Kalvenes, who looked to have got a toe to the ball. Daniel Cousin stepped up to slot home the penalty and bring Rangers level. United, feeling somewhat hard done by, hit back almost immediately. A ball in towards Robertson in the penalty area saw the striker hauled down by Carlos Cuellar and United were awarded a penalty of their own. Justice prevailed as Barry Robson stepped up and smashed the ball down the middle of Alan McGregor’s goal to put United back in front on 54 minutes. For a 15 or 20 minute spell after the goal, it was all hands to the pump as Rangers chased an equaliser. But, United weathered the storm and pressed forward to put the result beyond doubt. A corner from Robson in the 75th minute was spilled by McGregor and Kalvenes blasted home from close range, but the goal was disallowed for a foul on the keeper. On 78 minutes, a 20-yard Prince Buaben effort was heading for the top corner, only for McGregor to turn it round the post for a corner. Another attempt on goal a couple of minutes later almost sealed it. A curling free-kick from Robson looked to be looping in at the far post until McGregor got a finger-tip to it to push it to safety. With just one minute remaining however, Rangers almost snatched a draw when Beasley crossed for substitute Kris Boyd, but the Scotland striker ballooned over from eight yards out, and United held on for another deserved home win.

Squad Statistics (as at October 28th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Euan McLean (GK)21 2 - 3 -
Lee Wilkie27 113263
Christian Kalvenes30 10 - 421
Seán Dillon24 131291
Darren Dods32 131131
Prince Buaben19 131131
Morgaro Gomis22 12 - 24 -
Willo Flood22 11 - 11 -
Barry Robson28 12515430
Noel Hunt24 1344414
Jordan Robertson19 9494
Mark Kerr (sub)25 7 - 1575

League Table (as at October 28th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.