St Mirren 0
Dundee Utd 0
Scottish Cup (5th Round)

St Mirren 

0 - 0

Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup (5th Round)
Saturday, February 2nd, 2008
Love Street. Att. 3,945
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Gus MacPherson Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Chris Smith
David van Zanten
Ian Maxwell
David Barron
Will Haining
Andy Dorman
Gary Mason
John Potter
Craig Dargo
Billy Mehmet
Mark Corcoran
Lukasz Załuska
Seán Dillon
Danny Grainger
Darren Dods
Lee Wilkie
Willo Flood
Mark Kerr
Craig Conway
Morgaro Gomis
Prince Buaben
Noel Hunt

Mark Howard
Hugh Murray
Stewart Kean
Franco Miranda
Stephen McGinn
Euan McLean
Garry Kenneth
Danny Swanson
Mark de Vries
Eric Odhiambo

Hugh Murray for Gary Mason (18)
Stewart Kean for Craig Dargo (84)
Danny Swanson for Craig Conway (58)
Mark de Vries for Morgaro Gomis (58)
Eric Odhiambo for Noel Hunt (82)

Mark Corcoran (32)
Will Haining (61)
Darren Dods (63)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Mike McCurry (Referee)

Match Report

St Mirren will feel they had the chances to win the game but the United defence stood resolute and Polish ‘keeper Lukasz Zaluska made excellent saves in either half to keep United in the cup.

The first half hour was played out with little incident. Andy Dorman tested Zaluska after seven minutes with a rasping shot which the ‘keeper managed to parry to safety. A minute later, United won their first corner and, in what was a well-rehearsed manoeuvre, several men in the box ran from the goal line to the edge of the box en masse but St Mirren managed to clear despite the confusion.

The game came to life after 35 minutes when St Mirren passed up three great chances within a matter of moments of each other. First, loose play by Danny Grainger on the United left allowed David van Zanten in, but his low shot was held by Zaluska. Then, a volley by Mark Corcoran at the back post flew across goal, begging to be knocked into the net, but the ball went behind.

Corcoran then had another opportunity. Played into the box by Ian Maxwell, he slid in and managed to get a shot on goal but, at full stretch, Zaluska was able to keep it out and the ball was cleared to safety.

The second half started in more lively fashion. Immediately Noel Hunt managed to get United’s first real shot on goal but his curling effort was well held by Chris Smith in the St Mirren goal. Prince Buaben then shot over the bar from the edge of the box after good running from new captain Lee Wilkie had set up the striking opportunity.

At the other end, Zaluska again had to look alert after a loose back pass forced the Pole out of his box to make a desperate sliding clearance.

Craig Dargo was next to threaten the United goal. Darren Dods handled the ball just outside the United box but referee McCurry played the advantage and Dargo then saw his powerful shot again blocked by Dods. However, the ball broke kindly for the come-back striker and his low shot whistled inches past the far post.

The United fans had been chanting the name of Mark De Vries and, with his side on the back foot, Craig Levein made a double substitution. On came De Vries and fellow new boy Danny Swanson to replace Morgaro Gomis and Craig Conway. Swanson in particular seemed to immediately lift United. On 63 minutes, he beat three men with some wonderful skill but, as the Arabs behind the goal rose to acclaim what they hoped would be a fine finish, the midfielder miscued his shot high and wide.

De Vries then made his first contribution with a lovely one-two with Buaben but the midfielder was unable to get a decent cross in.

It was Swanson who again threatened for United after 73 minutes. A neat lay-off from Noel Hunt allowed him a driven low shot but it flew just wide of the left hand post.

As the game became more stretched, both teams were now enjoying more space as the ball flew from end to end. Levein made his final change of the game after 81 minutes when Eric Odhiambo replaced Noel Hunt up front. However, the young striker struggled to get into the game as St Mirren pushed for a winner. That could have come two minutes from time when Will Haining powered a shot at goal from the edge of the area but Zaluska made a terrific one-handed save to turn the ball round the post and ensure that United will get another shot at St Mirren in a Tannadice replay.

In a hard fought but good tempered cup tie, St Mirren had David Barron and Mark Corcoran booked for fouls on Prince Buaben and Lee Wilkie respectively, while Darren Dods saw yellow for United after barging into the back of Dargo.

Squad Statistics (as at February 2nd, 2008)

2007-08 All Time
Lukasz Załuska (GK)25 2 - 2 -
Darren Dods32 281281
Seán Dillon24 281441
Lee Wilkie27 233383
Danny Grainger21 6 - 6 -
Morgaro Gomis22 28 - 40 -
Craig Conway22 101441
Willo Flood22 271271
Prince Buaben19 242242
Mark Kerr25 21 - 1715
Noel Hunt25 27145824
Danny Swanson (sub)21 4 - 4 -
Eric Odhiambo (sub)18 5 - 5 -
Mark de Vries (sub)32 2 - 2 -

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at February 2nd, 2008)

No league table has been added for this season.