Neuchatel Xamax 3
Dundee Utd 1 (AET)
UEFA Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)

Neuchatel Xamax 

3 - 1

Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, December 11th, 1985
Stade De La Maladiere. Att. 17,400
7:30 PM Kick-off

Carsten Neilsen (38)
Heinz Hermann (56)
Carsten Neilsen (108)
Ian Redford (16)

Team Managers
Gilbert Gress Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Karl Engel
Peter Kuffer
Claude Ryf
Tiziano Salvi
Philippe Perret
Don Givens
Ruedi Elsener
Heinz Hermann
Robert Luthi
Ulrich Stielike
Carsten Nielsen
Billy Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Richard Gough
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Ian Redford
Ralph Milne
Tommy Coyne

Joel Corminboeuf
Pierre Thevenaz
Mauricio Jacobacci
Patrice Mottiez
Stephane Forestier
Scott Thomson
John Holt
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher
Stuart Beedie

Stephane Forestier for Tiziano Salvi (25)
Patrice Mottiez for Ruedi Elsener (72)
John Clark for Tommy Coyne (62)
Kevin Gallacher for Ralph Milne (112)

Robert Luthi (100) Eamonn Bannon (31)
Billy Kirkwood (62)
Maurice Malpas (101)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Jose Rosa Dos Santos (Portugal) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

The return leg with the Swiss brought two new European experiences to United. With the sides locked at 3-3 on aggregate at the end of normal time, we went into an extra time situation for the first time ever. It was during that additional 30 minutes that we suffered another novelty when the Portuguese referee awarded a goal when the ball clearly hadn't entered the net.

Yet this tie shouldn't really have had to go into extra time because it was United who got off to a flying start with an early goal to extend the slender lead of the first leg. Eamonn Bannon skipped past a defender on the left before sending over a cross which Ian Redford skilfully directed past Engel's outstretched arm. Fortified by that goal and Xamax rarely threatening, United looked well on the way to the quarter finals. However, a break on the right by Elsener led to Dane Carsten Nielsen heading the ball in at the near post.

After the interval, Tommy Coyne, Ralph Milne and Billy Kirkwood all had chances but none was taken and Xamax struck again. A short free kick to Heinz Hermann allowed the midfielder to crack home a 20 yarder just inside Billy Thomson's left hand post. There was no further scoring, even although John Clark had an excellent chance to kill off the Swiss. So it was into extra time and three minutes into the second period of extra time came the controversy. Carsten Nielsen cracked a shot off the underside of the bar which was ultimately collected by Billy Thomson but amazingly the referee, with no indication from his better placed linesman awarded a goal to k.o. United.

Squad Statistics (as at December 11th, 1985)

1985-86 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)27 12 - 27 -
Dave Beaumont22 13 - 392
Dave Narey29 25 - 57636
Maurice Malpas23 2622088
Paul Hegarty31 26453772
Richard Gough23 24523032
Billy Kirkwood27 18137269
Eamonn Bannon27 22631785
Ian Redford25 206206
Ralph Milne24 22525873
Tommy Coyne23 10 - 548
John Clark (sub)21 61448
Kevin Gallacher (sub)19 1 - 1 -

League Table (as at December 11th, 1985)

No league table has been added for this season.