Eiji Kawashima Player Profile

Player Details

  • Full Name: Eiji Kawashima
  • Born: March 20th, 1983 (Yono, Saitama, Japan)
  • Height: 6' 1
  • Position: Goalkeeper
  • Signed: December 29th, 2015
  • First Manager: Mixu Paatelainen
  • Career Totals: 19 appearances
  • Also Played For: FC Metz, Lierse S.K., Standard Liege

Playing History

Season Win % Draw % Loss %
2015-16 19 0 1 0 36.8% 21.1% 42.1%
Totals: 19 (0) 0

 Apps = First Team Appearances (Sub Appearances) | Gls = Goals
 Cln = Clean Sheets | CtGR = Clean Sheets to Games Ratio | W/D/L - Games won, drawn or lost as percentage of games played in
 Yel = Yellow Cards/Cautions | Red = Red Cards/Dismissals

 Recent First Team Starts
 10/05/16 Premiership vs. Partick Th (H) 3 - 3
 06/05/16 Premiership vs. Inverness CT (A) 3 - 2
 02/05/16 Premiership vs. Dundee (A) 1 - 2
 24/04/16 Premiership vs. Hamilton (H) 1 - 3
 16/04/16 Semi Final vs. Hibernian (N) 0 - 0

 Recent First Team Goals

 List of Goals Scored

 List of Games Played (click to expand)
 10/05/16 Premiership vs. Partick Th (H)  3 - 3
 06/05/16 Premiership vs. Inverness CT (A)  3 - 2
 02/05/16 Premiership vs. Dundee (A)  1 - 2
 24/04/16 Premiership vs. Hamilton (H)  1 - 3
 16/04/16 Semi Final vs. Hibernian (N)  0 - 0
 09/04/16 Premiership vs. Inverness CT (H)  0 - 2
 05/04/16 Premiership vs. Partick Th (A)  0 - 1
 02/04/16 Premiership vs. St Johnstone (A)  1 - 0
 20/03/16 Premiership vs. Dundee (H)  2 - 2
 02/03/16 Premiership vs. Aberdeen (H)  0 - 1
 27/02/16 Premiership vs. Ross County (A)  3 - 0
 20/02/16 Premiership vs. Hearts (H)  2 - 1
 16/02/16 Premiership vs. Motherwell (H)  0 - 3
 13/02/16 Premiership vs. Hamilton (A)  0 - 0
 06/02/16 5th Round vs. Partick Th (H)  1 - 0
 23/01/16 Premiership vs. Kilmarnock (H)  5 - 1
 15/01/16 Premiership vs. Celtic (H)  1 - 4
 09/01/16 4th Round vs. Airdrie (A)  1 - 0
 02/01/16 Premiership vs. Dundee (A)  1 - 2


Born in Yono, Saitama, Eiji signed his first professional deal for Omiya Ardija in 2001. After three years and over 40 appearances, he earned a move to Nagoya Grampus Eight in Japan’s J. League. Eiji found it difficult to break into the team and it wasn’t until late 2005 before he managed to get a run of first team games.

After a couple of years at Nagoya Grampus, Eiji broke the J. League transfer record when he moved to Kawasaki Frontale for 150 million yen in 2007. The big ‘keeper went on to play 113 games for the club and his form earned him his international debut for Japan in 2008.

In 2010, Eiji was selected to travel to the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Initially thought to be a back up in the Japan squad, he put in some great performances in friendlies leading up to the tournament and subsequently earned his place in the team for all of their competitive matches. Eiji went on to play over 70 matches for Japan.

Following his exposure at the World Cup, Eiji earned a move to Europe in the summer of 2010, joining Lierse S.K. in the Belgian Pro League. He was appointed club captain in October 2011 and further good form earned him another transfer to Standard Liege in July 2012. Eiji remained at Liege until his 3-year contract expired in 2015.

United first highlighted their interest in the ‘keeper at the beginning of November 2015 following the appointment of Mixu Paatelainen as Head Coach. However, the club had to wait patiently on a decision from the Home Office on Eiji being granted a work permit. Once the application was finally approved, the ‘keeper signed for United until the end of season 2015/16. He became the fourth major signing brought in by Mixu Paatelainen.

Squad Numbers




January 2nd, 2016
Dundee 2 - 1 Dundee United

League (Premiership)

International Career (Japan)

Caps: 72

Goals: 0

International Debut: February 17th, 2008 v. North Korea


  • Date of Birth

    Eiji was born on this date in Yono, Saitama, Japan.

  • Signed For Dundee United

    Born in Yono, Saitama, Eiji signed his first professional deal for Omiya Ardija in 2001. After three years and over 40 appearances, he earned a move to Nagoya Grampus Eight in Japan’s J. League. Eiji found it difficult to break into the team and it wasn’t until late 2005 before he managed to get a run of first team games.

  • In the 6th minute Gavin Gunning was short with his pass back allowing Kane Hemmings to run in on goal. In his first piece of action for his new club Kawashima was sharp off his line to win the challenge at the edge of the box ahead of Hemmings before gathering the follow up safely. Dundee were then forced into an early substitution when James McPake lunged into a challenge with John Rankin as he shaped to shoot. The tackle resulted in a lengthy delay while the Dundee captain received treatment before being taken off eventually for Kostadin Gadzhalov. From the resulting free kick came the crucial breakthrough for United following a delay of 5 minutes. Blair Spittal stepped up to take the set piece and couldn’t have struck it better as his right foot shot curled perfectly into the top corner past Scott Bain. United then twice threatened through Billy Mckay in the space of three minutes as they were really starting to exert the pressure. The Terrors came within inches of doubling their lead when a 35th minute corner was desperately scrambled off the line by the Dundee defence. Shortly after Bain did well to parry a John Rankin half volley away before Ryan McGowan appealed for a penalty as he went down under the challenge in the box but nothing was given by referee Kevin Clancy. As half time approached disaster then struck for United as Dundee levelled the game. A Nicky Low free kick was floated into the box and Kawashima fumbled the ball out to Kane Hemmings who volleyed home from inside the 6 yard area. There was a flashpoint during the five minutes added time when Nick Ross was booked for a professional foul on Guy Demel but in return the United man also received a card for the way in which he took exception to the challenge.

  • Last Appearance - Dundee United 3 - 3 Partick Th

    Frederic Frans opened the scoring in the sixth minute, crashing a header into the United net as he rose unchallenged to meet Penrice’s driven corner from the right. Simon Murray was, as usual, making a nuisance of himself and set Knoyle off down the right; his deep cross was met at the back post by Billy Mckay, but the striker could only find the side netting from the angle. Murray was again at the heart of United’s next attack, a cute turn on the right touchline gave him room to drive past Penrice and fire a cross come shot through the six yard area but it found neither the net nor a team mate. In an even half, Partick seemed content to hit United on the counter attack and United were fortunate that Kris Doolan did not spot the run of Edwards, otherwise the Thistle attacker would have been clean through on goal. United’s best chance of the half came on twenty one minutes: Dixon robbed Amoo off the ball on the half way line and raced forward before sliding the ball to Mckay 25 yards out. Mckay took a single touch and fired a wicked shot that had Thistle keeper Scully stretching to push away from goal. Mckay then had another effort from distance, but this time the shot screwed well wide. John Rankin was next to try his luck from distance, fully forty yards from goal, he fired a free kick which the Thistle defence did well to deflect for a corner. Souttar was unfortunate not to make contact with Fraser’s cross and the chance came to nothing. In the forty first minute United were undone again, as has been so often this season, by their own poor defending. A long ball was flicked on by Amoo, looping the ball over Souttar, Dillon stretched to clear, but the ball rebounded off his own chest into the path of Kris Doolan, who waltzed past Kawashima and rolled the ball into the empty net.